Friday, March 13, 2009

Visiting Anderson in INdy 03/09



I think I saw almost everyone that looks at this blog while I was on vacation, but not everyone, so here are some pics and notes.  I'm going to break it up in sections, so its easier for me.  

Addy and I flew Frontier, which I like, and arrived in Indianapolis (INdy to me) on Friday afternoon.  Josh Anderson, my good friend from high school, was there shortly to pick us up.  He took us downtown to Massachussetts Avenue, which is a cool part of downtown that is undergoing rejuvenation.  There are a bunch of boutique shops and cool restaurants and bars.  We grabbed a quick bite at a creole spot called Yats.  They serve a few types of creole "stew" that they serve over rice.  We each got something different and shared because they were all great!  Very simple really, but the flavors were great and the price was right.  We walked down to The Best Chocolate in Town shop after that to satisfy our sweet teeth.  It is not just a clever name, either.  Josh had an Irish cream truffle, I had a cayenne pepper truffle, and Addy got a caramel.  We then spent a little time in the local music shop, where I picked up the new Ray LaMontange.  By that time we needed to pick up little Iris from daycare.  Man, she is cute and was the center of attention as soon as we picked her up.  We went to Josh's house to hang out for a little and get Iris home.  He has a cool 1920's bungalow in an established neighborhood with a park nearby on the east side of INdy.  

Later that night Josh took Addy and I out to Brugge, a new microbrewery/brewpub, in Broad Ripple.  They are all about Belgian style.  Only 3 beers to choose from: White, Black, and the Ripple Trippel (which was amazing).  Their specialty was frites (fries), which came with up to 12 different dipping sauces.  The blue cheese, syrup and mustard, and garlic aoli were all great.  Josh and I shared a pot of steamed mussels and finished it off with a delicious dessert crepe.  Over dinner we talked about all the cool stuff Josh is doing at work and with his group of super-creative Midwestern urbanists.  His group's newest project is installing sculpture bike racks on the new cultural walkway through downtown.  Josh always gets me all jazzed about making YOUR neighborhood a better place and getting involved.  He's an action-oriented hipster!  They do exist!  It was a great end to a great day hanging out with a good friend that I don't get to see enough.

The next morning Addy and I had our run that will be in a different post, but some of the other Anderson family came down to take care of Iris for the day and it was a pleasure to get to see them.  Just wanted to throw in a pic of all of them, cause I liked the luckful happenstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment